Executive Summary Pimpri Business Plan 2012-2017 Water Supply Sewerage and Drainage
October 10, 2012
Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC) is a prosperous, industrial city situated on the Mumbai-Pune corridor, with a current population of 1.73 million people. The population is expected to double within the next 20 years. PCMC has won national awards for its municipal infrastructure, including water supply and sewerage, slums rehabilitation and e-governance. There is no question that PCMC will continue to invest sufficient financial resources to provide drinking water and associated wastewater services to its growing population; the challenge is whether this can be done sustainably and with optimum costs.
This Business Plan is for water supply and sewerage and drainage (S&D) services in the city of Pimpri-Chinchwad (PCMC) for the period 2012 to 2017. PCMC’s priorities are:
- To achieve better results (service improvements) from investments made to date under JnNURM.
- To introduce and scale up 24×7 continuous water supply, and ensure equitable and safe water supply throughout the city.
- To better utilize existing capacity of sewage treatment, and enhance collection and transportation of wastewater.
- To identify the costs associated with improved service delivery.
- To put in place organizational/human and capacity building arrangements needed to scale up and sustain improved services.
- To provide a strategy for sanitation in slums and low-income groups.
- To address river pollution, especially from slums and local industries.