Enabling GrEEEn Cities: A Sustainable Urban Future for Southeast Asia
April 23, 2014
The Asian Development Bank will host a Regional Conference on “Enabling GrEEEn Cities: a Sustainable Urban Future for Southeast Asia” from 13-14 May 2014. ADB Urban Operational Plan 2012-2020 provides direction for ADB’s response to addressing the urban challenge by fostering investments in sustainable development. The plan presents a 3E’s approach (Economy + Environment + Equity) to sustainable and liveable cities that are competitive, green, and inclusive.
The Southeast Urban Development and Water Division’s (SEUW) Green Cities Initiative through the regional capacity development technical assistance (RETA-8314) “Green Cities: A Sustainable Urban Future in Southeast Asia” will operationalize the key strategies identified under ADB’s Urban Operations Plan to support secondary cities in achieving competitive, resilient, and, inclusive growth.
Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | 11:15 to 12:15
MANAGING GrEEEn CITIES: Decision Support Systems for Urban Management
Chair: Anand Chiplunkar, Chair of Urban Community of Practice, Director, Urban Development and Water Division (CWUW), Central and West Asia Regional Department (CWRD), ADB
Discussant: Yan Zhang, Sr. Urban Economist and Country Sector Coordinator, Urban Water and DRM Program, World Bank
Design & Management for the Built Environment in Response to Climate Change:
Xiaoming Wang (Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, CSIRO)
Urban Simulation Model:
Rodney W. Chapin (Sr. Vice President, CDM Smith),
Lynn B. Reid (Principal Hydrogeologist, CDM Smith)
Urban Flood Model:
Alejandro de Juanes (Climate Change Manager, INCLAM Water Engineering)
City Infrastructure Investment Programming and Prioritization (CIIPP) Toolkit:
Cities Development Initiative for Asia (CDIA)
- Share the Operational Framework for secondary cities in Southeast Asia.
- Present GrEEEn City Action Plans developed in secondary cities in Viet Nam and Malaysia
- Launch Urban Management Partnerships (UMPs) for institutional strengthening through peer-to-peer learning involving the private sector, academia, and stakeholders.
- Facilitate a Market Place for green entrepreneurs and private sector to present innovative examples for low-carbon technology and financing
- Exchange knowledge on global practices for greening cities.
- The Conference is expected to be attended by over 100 participants including high-level government officials, CEOs, and other decision makers in both the public and private sector, drawn from national and urban agencies in Asia, Asian cities, and their network organizations, as well as international organizations.
Leading actors in urban development will discuss how an integrated urban planning and environmental management approach can operationalize green growth strategies and the enablers that can support implementation of Green City Action Plans. Private sector experts will present and discuss innovative technologies and approaches including finance mechanisms that can make cities environmentally sustainable, climate resilient, energy efficient, competitive and inclusive.
Inspirational and distinguished leaders who have been instrumental in bringing about urban transformation in their countries and cities will be invited as Keynote Speakers and Presenters. Auditorium C and D, Asian Development Bank Headquarters, Manila, Philippines.
Amy S. P. Leung
Director, Urban Development and Water Division (SEUW), Southeast Asia Department, ADB
Sonia Chand Sandhu
Senior Environment Specialist, SEUW
Ramola Naik Singru
Senior Urban Development Consultant, SEUW